Fair Haven Councilman Jerome Koch, 63, suffered fatal injuries when a car struck his bicycle. According to an NJ.com news report, the fatal bicycle accident occurred on River Road near Elm Place in Fair Haven. He was pronounced dead the day after the crash at Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune. It is unclear what caused the crash, but it does not appear from the report that the driver will face citations for the crash.
Even skilled and experienced riders can suffer fatal injuries in the event of a crash. Bicyclists are simply not provided enough protection to survive a major collision. This is why all bicyclists would be well advised to:
• Always wear a helmet when riding
• Use hand signals when changing lanes and turning
• Stay to the right side of the lane until it is necessary to change
• Ride defensively at all times
• Try to make eye contact with nearby drivers before entering traffic
• Wear bright and reflective clothing when riding in the morning or night
• Install a bright, white headlamp on the front of your bike
• Place red reflectors on the seat and pedals
• Always look before changing lanes
• Avoid riding in vehicle blind spots
If you have lost a loved one in a bicycle accident, it is crucial that you stay abreast of the ongoing investigation. It is also advisable to keep records of your financial losses that resulted from the crash. Depending on the cause of the accident, financial support may be available for the damages you have suffered. An experienced Princeton bicycle accident lawyer can help victims and families better understand their legal rights and options.