An 85-year-old man was injured in a New Jersey gas explosion on Thursday, September 8. According to a news report in The Star Ledger, the natural gas explosion occurred at the Cypress Gardens apartment complex on Route 22 in North Plainfield. The man was adjusting his apartment’s heater and thermostat when it exploded, delivering burns to his arms, chest and face. The explosion was so strong that it blew out several windows in his apartment. The building did not sustain any structural damage and no one else was hurt.
Property owners have many legal obligations to tenants and visitors, many of which concern overall safety. All property owners must make sure that their buildings are constructed to code and properly maintained. They are also required to provide fire alarms, smoke detectors, fire extinguishers and sprinkler systems that are in working order. Broken steps and cracked floors must be repaired. Defective and dangerous appliances such as stoves and heaters need to be replaced. Property owners who fail to protect their tenants may be held liable for any injuries that result from their negligence.
Proving that a property owner was responsible for an injury accident is not as simple as it sounds. A skilled liability attorney will examine all aspects of the incident and help determine fault and premises liability. In some cases, serious accidents can also occur as a result of defective products. In such cases, the manufacturer of the defective product can also be held liable.